Saturday, September 18, 2010

How other studios do what they do

When it ships I'm sure I'll be able to talk more openly about it, but I'm working closely with another studio right now as they work feverishly to close their current project. I wish it were easier to catch a glimpse into the inner workings of other game companies -- there's so much to learn about the efficiencies (and, of course, perceived shortcomings) of people who don't work where you do. Who don't have the same entrenched bad habits as your company. Who aren't stuck in the same ruts you are. It makes me appreciate the value of someone like Clinton Keith who has been exposed to the inner workings of so many different studios. Being able to analyze the best practices of so many groups of developers, being able to determine what tools are best for which situations...I'm jealous of the guy in different ways than I've been jealous of him previously. I wish I could have had the experience of the past few months (and more experiences like it) several years ago. Imagine the improvements I could've brought to my own team.

No comments:

Post a Comment